Did you know?
• 82% of High School Seniors have used alcohol
• 50% have used marijuana
• 9% have used cocaine
The message is clear: Alcohol use is very risky business for young people. And the longer children delay alcohol use, the less likely they are to develop any problems associated with it. That’s why it is so important to help your child avoid any alcohol use.
• Alcohol-related traffic crashes are a major cause of death among young people.
• Teens that use alcohol are more likely to become sexually active at an earlier age.
• Young people who drink are more likely than others to be victims of violent crime, including rape.
• Teens that drink is more likely to have problems with school work and school conduct.
• The majority of boys and girls who drink tend to binge (5 or more drinks on an occasion) when they drink.
• A person who begins drinking as a young teen is four times more likely to develop alcohol dependence than someone who waits until adulthood to use alcohol.
Below are a series of tip sheets that provide education, advice and talking points on relevant topics. Click on the title of each to access the tip sheet.